5.12.2011

wallflower.


Photo by myself.


I recently finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and was mildly disappointed with it. I had read and heard such great things about this book that when I finally got around to reading it - on my Kindle, no less - I was excited.

It's that feeling when you start a new book that you don't know which direction it'll take you. Will you end up being so moved by the book that you'll cry? Or will you start to dislike a certain character? I didn't really have that as such. I was just generally disappointed. The characters have time to 'grow' which is a plus, but the book didn't really have a storyline. A boy who is anonymous, going through his teenage years and writing letters to someone we don't even have a name of.

That might appeal to you, and if it does, don't let me discourage you from purchasing the book yourself and giving it a go. But for me that really bugged me. The fact that this teenager waffled on about his life and shortcomings, it just got all too boring. If there was more of a storyline to it, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I was itching to finish the book so I didn't end up throwing my Kindle into the nearest wall. It certainly was a perk for it to be over and done with.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I was thinking of giving this a go. I'll probably just borrow it to save being disappointed if I don't like it. It's a shame when books don't live up to the hype around them, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bee: I personally hate it if a book doesn't live up to the hype! I found this out with 'Lolita'. I was terribly bored of the book by the first half. :(

    ReplyDelete